Here's the steps you need to take to play Grim Fandango on your computer:
1. Own Grim Fandango -- Unfortunately the hardest step as the game is no longer available to buy new. Your best bets are eBay (US/UK) or Amazon (US/UK).
Note: If you decide to get the game by nefarious means, I cannot guarantee it will work as expected!
2. Copy the Grim Fandango files to your Hard Drive -- the following files from your Grim Fandango CDs to a new folder on your computer. The files should be found in a folder called "data" on your Grim Fandango CDs.
For example, copy them into a new directory located at c:\grim
Copy all the LAB files into your new directory. For example:
CREDITS.LABNote: You may also have additional .LAB files if your version is non-English.
Some files are found on both CDs, just click "OK" to overwrite them if prompted.
3. Add the official patch - Download the free official LucasArts patch from here:
Place the Gfupd101.exe file you downloaded into the folder you previously created above (amongst all the .LAB files).
You should now have a directory on your harddrive (e.g. c:\grim) that contains the following files (filesizes in bytes are in the brackets):
CREDITS.LAB (19,399 bytes)If you don't have at least these files, the game will not function properly. If you do have these files and you're having some issues, compare the filesizes to make sure the file is correct.
DATA000.LAB (29,163,069 bytes)
DATA001.LAB (116,140,627 bytes)
DATA002.LAB (115,377,732 bytes)
DATA003.LAB (65,997,693 bytes)
DATA004.LAB (81,392,084 bytes)
Gfupd101.exe (2,272,959 bytes)
MOVIE00.LAB (7,121,597 bytes)
MOVIE01.LAB (119,199,457 bytes)
MOVIE02.LAB (70,712,720 bytes)
MOVIE03.LAB (88,576,747 bytes)
MOVIE04.LAB (107,184,933 bytes)
VOX0000.LAB (4,315,773 bytes)
VOX0001.LAB (58,011,176 bytes)
VOX0002.LAB (93,358,525 bytes)
VOX0003.LAB (38,906,667 bytes)
VOX0004.LAB (38,561,440 bytes)
YEAR0MUS.LAB (6,995,569 bytes)
YEAR1MUS.LAB (61,363,647 bytes)
YEAR2MUS.LAB (81,147,716 bytes)
YEAR3MUS.LAB (43,866,360 bytes)
YEAR4MUS.LAB (63,489,389 bytes)
4. Download and install ResidualVM - This amazing bit of software will be running the game for you and can be downloaded here:
Just download the correct copy for your system and run the file to start the installation.
5. Let ResidualVM know where Grim Fandango is installed -- Within Residual click "Add Game..." and then navigate to the folder on your Hard Drive where you copied the game files (e.g. C:\Grim) and click "Choose".
6. Enjoy Grim Fandango -- If all goes well you just need to select Grim Fandango and click Start!